DeSoto County DUI Lawyer
Aggressive Defense for Drunk Driving Cases in Olive Branch, Senatobia, Walls, & Surrounding Areas
Being charged with driving under the influence (DUI) can be a frightening experience, not only for you but also for your family. Losing your driver's license and paying high fines are just the beginning of your legal troubles. A DUI conviction can have a devastating impact on your life, such as the loss of your job, the inability to get a loan, and the risk of losing your professional license. In addition, you may be required to attend Alcoholics Anonymous or other counseling sessions. Without a strong legal defense, you may end up with a permanent criminal record and a ruined reputation.
At Hayes Law Firm, our DeSoto County DUI defense attorney has the skills and experience to protect your rights and fight for your best interests. Attorney Hayes has handled hundreds of DUI cases and has obtained acquittals and dismissals in many of them. Our firm understands that the police and prosecutors will try to make your situation as bleak as possible. Our goal is to help you avoid the life-altering consequences of a DUI conviction by challenging the evidence against you and finding any possible legal defenses.
Schedule your free initial consultation with our DeSoto County DUI attorney by calling our firm at (662) 503-8409 or completing our online form.
What Is Considered Driving Under the Influence in Mississippi?
The Mississippi Department of Public Safety defines driving under the influence (DUI) as driving or operating a vehicle while:
- Under the influence of alcohol,
- Under the influence of any other intoxicating substance,
- Under the influence of a combination of alcohol and any other intoxicating substance, or
- Under the influence of any drug which causes impaired driving ability.
In addition, the DUI statute states that a person is considered to be driving or in actual physical control of a vehicle if the vehicle is moving or a part of the vehicle is moving. The statute also states that a person can be charged with DUI even if the vehicle is not in motion. This can occur if the vehicle is stopped but the person is still in control of the vehicle.
The penalties for DUI depend on whether it is a first offense or a subsequent offense. A DUI conviction is considered a subsequent offense if the person has been previously convicted of DUI, reckless driving, or any other crime involving impaired driving within the past 10 years.
A first DUI offense can result in:
- A fine of up to $1,000;
- Suspension of your driver's license for up to 180 days; and
- Mandatory attendance at an alcohol highway safety program
A subsequent DUI offense can result in:
- A fine of up to $1,000;
- Suspension of your driver's license for up to two years; and
- Mandatory attendance at an alcohol highway safety program
If you are found guilty of DUI, you may be able to avoid a conviction by entering a "dry plea." A dry plea means that you plead guilty without having the court consider any mitigating factors. However, you should only enter a dry plea if you are certain that you will be found guilty.
If you are found not guilty, you can avoid the consequences of a DUI conviction by entering a "nolo contendere" plea. A nolo contendere plea means that you do not contest the charge but do not admit guilt.
DUI Defense Strategies
With how seriously Mississippi takes DUI charges, it is critical to have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side who can help build a strong case to protect your rights and freedom. At Hayes Law Firm, we understand how important it is to fight for a favorable outcome in DUI cases. We will carefully examine every aspect of your case, looking for a way to obtain the best possible result.
To that end, here are some of the strategies we may employ:
- Challenge the arrest: We will evaluate whether any procedural errors were made in your arrest, such as violations of your constitutional rights.
- Attack field sobriety tests (FSTs): FSTs are subjective tests that can be challenged by an experienced attorney. Examples of this may include questioning the officers’ instructions and a lack of proper calibration for breathalyzers and other instruments used to measure intoxication levels.
- Challenge chemical test results: Attacking the reliability and accuracy of chemical tests is a powerful defense tactic our firm can employ to protect you from unfounded charges.
- Question the arresting officer's conduct: Was there probable cause for an officer to pull you over? Were they trained properly in administering tests such as field sobriety exams? Did they appear impartial when assessing the results? These are important questions we will ask on your behalf.
- Argue defenses based upon medical conditions: Certain medical conditions can affect test results. If this applies to you, we will work diligently to provide evidence supporting this claim so that it enters consideration during court proceedings.
Request a Case Evaluation Today!
If you have been arrested for DUI, it is essential to move quickly and get the proper representation. Time is of the essence when it comes to protecting your rights and freedom. Our DeSoto County DUI attorney will work diligently to build a compelling case that achieves a favorable outcome in court. We are available 24/7 so you can rest assured that we are there for you when you need us most.
Protect Your Rights with an Experienced DUI Attorney
If you have been charged with a DUI in Mississippi, it is crucial to seek the help of an experienced DUI attorney who can protect your rights and fight for the best possible outcome in your case. At Hayes Law Firm, our skilled DUI lawyers have a deep understanding of Mississippi DUI laws and the legal strategies necessary to build a strong defense.
Why choose our DUI defense team:
- Extensive experience: Our attorneys have years of experience handling DUI cases in Mississippi and are well-versed in the intricacies of DUI law.
- Personalized approach: We understand that every case is unique, and we take the time to thoroughly evaluate the details of your case to develop a personalized defense strategy tailored to your specific circumstances.
- Aggressive representation: We are committed to aggressively defending our clients' rights and will fight tirelessly to challenge the evidence against you, negotiate with prosecutors, and seek the best possible outcome in your case.
- Knowledge of local courts: Our firm has a strong reputation in the local legal community and has extensive experience appearing in courts throughout Olive Branch, Senatobia, Walls, and the surrounding areas.
- Compassionate support: We understand that facing a DUI charge can be overwhelming and stressful. Our team is here to provide compassionate support and guide you through every step of the legal process.
Don't face a DUI charge alone. Contact Hayes Law Firm today to schedule a case evaluation and let our experienced DUI attorneys fight for your rights.
Contact us today at (662) 503-8409 or fill out our online form to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced criminal defense lawyer who can help protect your rights!
I was pleased with how the attorney called me personally to provide an update. I also received emails to update me on the status of my case. And, most of all, the issue was resolved in a timely manner.- K.C.
I appreciated the honesty our lawyer provided us from the beginning. He always kept us informed with updates regarding our case. I feel like our lawyer helped get us the best outcome possible. We are thankful for Hayes Law Firm.- A.W.
I was very impressed. Y’all helped me with all of my needs, and worked out a deal with the court to keep me out of jail!- T.S.
Hayes Law Firm communicated with me while setting realistic expectations for the outcome of my case. They were able to achieve my desired outcome.- Anonymous
I recently hired Hayes Law Firm for legal representation. Mr. Hayes is very professional and his expertise was obvious in the courtroom. He kept me informed on any changes and updates throughout the entire process. I couldn’t ask for a better outcome in my case!!! I highly recommend attorney Robbie Hayes for any legal needs you are facing.- M.T.
The firm’s knowledge and timely communication kept me informed resulting in the best outcome for my case.- Anonymous
Hayes Law Firm provided excellent support for my legal case. All staff that I interacted with were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. My questions were answered promptly and thoroughly. Potential actions as they related to my case were discussed with pros and cons highlighted to enable the best possible outcome.- Anonymous
Cole was knowledgeable and to the point. He communicated well throughout the process. Cole and Hayes Law Firm are top notch attorneys.- G.K.